Reading Notes: Jataka Tales, Part A, The Monkey and the Crocodile

Hi guys!

Monkey and Crocodile from Jataka Tales


Today I read the Jataka tale of the Monkey and the Crocodile. Well, I read all of the stories in part A, but this one stood out. I loved it. I think the monkey was clever and witty. Overall, the monkey was such a fun character to read about.

My favorite parts of the story were when the monkey would trick the crocodile. I think this aspect would be a great one to replicate. I have written a few trickster stories, but it has been a long time since I have. My last one was last semester. Here are some ideas for a trickster story from this one:

  • Replace the animals with people:
    • CEO and a clever employee
  • Change the ending
    • monkey gets eaten instead
    • crocodile tricks other monkeys who do not listen to the clever monkey
  • Change the plot
    • the crocodile is the clever one
    • the crocodile doesn't like to kill animals and strikes a deal with the monkey to kill animals for him
  • Change the style
    • I would love to write a first person story about a kind and sweet crocodile that doesn't like killing 
Overall, there a tons of options!

Here are a few thinks I want to note about the story: 

Beginning of the story: "A monkey lived in a great tree on a river bank"  

End of the story: ""Thank you, Crocodile, but I shall be on the watch for you just the same," said the Monkey"


I find the ending sentence kinda confusing. I am not sure if it is sarcastic or not. Is the monkey concerned about it's own safety or the crocs?

Bibliography:  Jataka Tales, Part A, The Monkey and the Crocodile by Ellen C. Babbitt

Comments

Popular Posts