Learning Challenge: Stop Complaining 101

Hi there!
Happy Pup...Happy Life, made with Cheezburger

This is my blog post about an article I read for the Learning by H.E.A.R.T. Challenge. The title of the article is "What it's Like To Go Without Complaining For a Month" link here.

Not complaining has been something I have always strived to do. I am a fairly positive and optimistic person to begin with, but more so externally. When someone else says something negative I am quick to respond with a silver lining or bright side. I explain it with the glass half empty or full scenario. I do not care if the glass is half full or empty....I am just happy there is a glass on the table.

When I am facing stress though.....I tend to complain a lot. I can catch myself sometimes, but I want to stop complaining all together. This has been my goal for a couple years. Complaining is actually what I give up for lent haha. I think these tips will really help me focus on what I can do to improve my positivity.

One thing I already was aware of was the wording of "I have to" versus "I get to." I remember the first time I met my boyfriends dad at his house he explained this to the both of us. My boyfriend drove me to his house from Norman. From here he was going to drive me to my parent's house (about  an hour away). We were figuring out the timing and my boyfriend reminded his dad that he "had to" take me home. His dad quickly cut him off to correct it to "get to." From that point on I never forgot it. I think about it anytime I say "have to" and I quickly correct myself.

One new thing was to positively complain. This means that when you complain, figure out a solution and do it right then. One example may be that I have to write a ten page essay and I think its absurd because x,y, and z. Well the second I complain I should think of the five minutes I could spend brainstorming a time line to complete the essay. I could start it right then. I could think of why I do not want to do it and realize how grateful I am for the opportunity to share my opinion.

One thing I am curious to explore is the defining complaining. I want to see if defining it actually helps me notice it and correct it quicker. I also wonder if it is good or bad to complain. I got mixed vibes from the paper. Sometimes it helps your stress to not bottle up negativity, but speaking negatively makes for a negative mood as well. I think I will test this out on myself. I will see if I feel better or worse when I rant to someone versus hold it in.



Comments

Popular Posts