Storytelling: The Beautiful Bird


bird
Beautiful Bird, picture from Creative Commons

Once upon a time there were two very mystical sisters. They lived on the outskirts of a large kingdom and were in charge of keeping balance in it. In return for this, they lived in great wealth and happiness.

The two sisters were beautiful in many ways. 

They had dark long hair that laid in place. 

Skin that was kissed by the sun, then kissed again by all the riches in the world.

Eyes brighter than any star, yet darker than any evil. 

Magic more potent than any God, but as gentle as day old butterflies. 

The two sisters were admired by all.

Few ever impressed either woman. 

One day a handsome man entered the kingdom and disrupted all balance between the sisters. 

He was beautiful in many ways

He had hair that was dark, but seemed to rightly belong out of place

Skin kissed by the sun, then kissed again by the sun.

Eyes that glowed like an open flame.

A soul warmer than any saint, but just as cunning as a devil.

The two sisters fell in love with the man independently from afar. Neither knew of the other's desires until he arrived at their door. They scratched and clawed each other to welcome the man into the home. They used wicked spells to burn the floor, flood the rooms, and turn each other into wicked creatures. The eldest sister, Sampati, attempted to turn her younger sister into a large bird. The younger sister, Jatayu, moved too quickly and the spell hit a mirror instead. The mirror reflected the spell. Both sisters were hit by the spell, turning into half bird, half woman.

Together they flew high in the sky, clawing at one another. 

Higher and higher they went. Through the trees, through the stars, through the universe. 

Then, they reached the sun.

Jatayu went unconscious from the heat.

Sampati threw her sister into the flames of the sun, but Jatayu did not die. Another large bird emerged from its flames and saved Jatayu. 

He was a beautiful bird that had eyes that glowed like an open flame. 

When they returned home, the bird that saved Jatayu transformed into the handsome man. He transformed Jatayu back into a woman, but left Sampati as the bird. 

He scorched Sampati's wings so that she may never fly again. 

Together Jatayu and the man left.

Sampati left in shame.

The two never crossed paths again.



Author's note:

This story is based on the story of Sampati and Jatayu in Ramayana part C. In the story, Sampati tells how he lost his ability to fly. In the story he describes how him and his brother, Jatayu, would fly together. One day they flew very high and Jatayu got too close to the sun. It was too hot and he fainted, falling into the sun. To save him Sampati put his wings in between Jatayu and the sun. While he saved Jatayu, his wings were burned. This is a story of ultimate sacrifice and love. Sampati loved Jatayu. The two did not meet for a long time until Jatayu's funeral in Ramayana. 

I took this story and changed Sampati and Jatayu into two sisters who were women. I added another touch with the magic. In my story, the women turn themselves into bird, fighting over one man. Sampati gets burned and loses her wings because she tried to kill her sister. I created this story based of the original story, and fairytales of witches and magic. I did not change the names, because I thought they fit well. I also left the ending open ended. I considered making it a lesson in the end, but I liked the open ending a bit better. Let me know what you thought or what you think will happen after they leave one another!

Bibliography: PDE Ramayana, Part C Sampati and Jatayu, by Frederika Richardson Macdonald (1870). Link here

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this story! This was one of my favorites from the week's readings, and I am glad you chose to rewrite it! I loved the idea that you decided to gender bend a little, I think that always makes it an interesting read! I also really liked that you kept true to the original names, it makes the story feel much more authentic! I almost wish you had used a little more detail in the descriptions throughout the story, I feel like there is just something missing ( I cannot quite put my finger on it). Great job overall! I really enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Camille! There was a few things that really impressed me about this story. First, the simplicity and dream-like quality of your writing. Your metaphors really reminded me of a story that had been passed down for generations. I did wonder a bit about the ending and the build up to it. I know that you wanted to leave it open ended, but I think that with how simplistic your writing style is, I was left a bit confused about the motivations of the characters, such as why the sisters were so quick to turn on each other, or how they met the handsome man separately, or why he chose Jatayu over Sampati, leaving her as a giant bird. I think it would be really interesting if you simply filled in a bit more of the details surrounding the characters, explaining their motivations so the story has a logical progression.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts