Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues, Part A

Hi there!

Ravana Getting his PhD in Being a Nice Guy, picture from Sita Sings the Blue (Nina Paley)


This video is so much fun! I highly suggest checking it out if you can.

What I love about this video is how to the point it is. The narrators do a great job at telling the story, variations of the story they have heard, and making the story understandable.

There are three different story variations going on during the video. There are three narrators who are discussing Ramayana and talking about what they know or don't know as illustrations, a cartoon blues singer version of Sita singing about her story, and a illustration of a modern couple.

I find the best part of this video to be the three narrators in my opinion. What they have to say is not only really funny, but also very informational. Five minutes into the video I finally understood the whole family tree.

It is also important to note that I am a visual learner. Videos with animations work the absolute best for me.

I would love to do a story like this some day, but it may be to difficult without the proper training in editing and creating. What I could do is create illustrations to go with a story OR make a story more real, like in the video.

You can retell Sita's and Rama's story a million ways. You can make it modern and put it in a high school, you can apply it to animals, you can keep it how it is but change the ending. There is so much room for creation.

For the story telling this week, I would love to retell the WHOLE story but change the ending. I want Ravana to be the good guy, because honestly who is to say he is the bad guy. What if Sita wanted to be with Ravana, so she left Rama when he went after the deer? I think this would be a different twist! Or what if when Rama did not trust Sita, she just left?

The video brings up a great point that Ravana was actually a good guy. The only bad thing he did was kidnap Sita. What if he was trying to save her? I had never seen this perspective until I watched this video.

Overall, I loved this story paired with the video and I am so glad I had the opportunity to watch it.

Bibliography: Sita Sings the Blues (2008), part A, by Nina Paley. Link here

Comments

Popular Posts