Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, Part D

The Earth Takes Sita, picture by Raja Ravi Varma


Hi guys!

So this is my last set of reading notes for this PDE Ramayana. Overall, I really enjoyed the story and got really invested in it.

First off, I love the reading notes at the top of the page. I honestly think this is a great way to introduce a story to make all motives clear. I would love to incorporate this into my story this week!

As far as the style and plot goes, I think these stories have so much room for expansion. They give a great story line, but can be filled in with more details. The Ramayana could easily be made into four novels instead of parts. This gives so much room for creativity when retelling these stories. You can take two sentences and expand on them enough to create a full story!

The end was really shocking to me. I think this is a huge point to emphasis because not all stories have to have a happy ending. I forget this a lot, but it was done extremely well in the Ramayana.

When Rama did not trust Sita I was furious and could not believe that after fighting a war for her, he would not trust her. Then she has to prove herself.......she has to prove that she is loyal. At that point I would have dipped out if I was Sita haha. But then it gets worse. Sita is good in the eyes of Rama after she proves herself loyal. When they return home, everyone thinks Sita was not loyal. So of course, Rama just sends her into exile because everyone else's opinion matters so much more. Like...really?

I could not believe this ending. He sends the woman he loves into exile in the forest ALONE. At least Rama's brother told her where to go. I was in shock. This man is not high quality.

My notes on this story really focus on the events of Rama and Sita. The battles really did not resonate with me. I would love to retell this story, but definitely change the ending.

Why did Sita not ask Rama if he was loyal? Why did Sita not leave when Rama questioned her? What if Ravana did not die and when Rama sent Sita to exile she went back to Ravana? What if Rama went into exile with Sita and did not send her alone?

There are so many great questions to think about and maybe even write about!

Bibliography: PDE Ramayana, Part D, by M. DuttR. DuttGouldGriffithHodgsonMackenzieNiveditaOmanRichardson, and RyderLink here

Comments

Popular Posts