Reading Notes: Mahabharata, Part C

Hi guys!



So I read part C of the Mahabharata and I am really enjoying it. I personally love part B the most so far. I think this is because how captivating and exciting it was. I am also zero percent interested in battle stories, which was a highlight of part C. One story really stood out for me though: 

Riddles at the Lake


Okay what I loved about this story was how simple it was and how it emphasized a lesson, the importance of listening! The story is pretty quick and explains how the Pandava brothers are thirsty and find a pond. Nakula is sent to drink first and when he arrives a voice says "Answer thou what I shall ask of thee before thou dost drink or draw water."......but he drinks the water because he is SUPER thirsty and then he dies. Sahadeva does the same thing and falls dead. Arjuna tried to have a convo, but yeah he still drank and dies. Bhrima also drinks and dies. Then there is Yudhishthira who talks and listening to the riddles (YAY)! Then the yaksha (the voice) revealed himself in the form of Dharma, god of wisdom and justice.....who is actually Yudhishthira's dad. In return for listening, Yudhishthira is granted 2 boons/ favors. He ask to restore his brother's lives and then make them unrecognizable by anyone in the three worlds for the space of a year. 

So I would love to retell this story and make it really relatable. Maybe even a children's story! It could be with animals or people. If I retell it, it will stay in third person with dialogue. I would love to do 5 children playing. Yudhishthira is the eldest, but it may be fun to make the wisest the youngest! Showing age does not necessarily mean wisdom. There are a lot of ways to manipulate the story! I could also fill in on the emotional side. What was Yudhishthira thinking when he saw his four brothers dead? Was he not scared? This may be a great point to touch on and put emphasis on. 

Dog Version of Nakula, made with Cheezeburger


Bibliography: Mahabharata, Part C, Riddles at the Lake by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913) link here 

Comments

Popular Posts