Topic Brainstorm

Hi there!


mud bath - Elephants, Kanchanaburi, Thailand 2018
Muddy Elephant in Thailand, picture from Creative Commons 

Here are some brainstorms for possible projects!

Idea 1: Narnia inspired story

So for this idea I would center all of my stories around animals. It would be similar to my story in Mythology and Folklore where there was a narrator taking the reader on an adventure. The narrator would lead the reader into a new world/place and to different animals, maybe get caught in trouble, and then return them back home. I could also use stories I am fond of during the semester and change the character to be animals. This would be more like a collection of stories that I would combine to be a storybook style. Characters I am interested in using are Jambavan (he was present in a battle with Rama vs Ravana so maybe this could be an event in the storybook or one that takes place before hand), Jatayu (whose wings were clipped by Ravana and then he fell to his death, which may be a good story to retell if I include the Rama Ravana battle), and then maybe one of the Elephants or a Horse. I thought ashvamendha was interesting. 


Idea 2: A Cook Book

This may actually be a lot of fun, but I am not totally sure yet! For this idea I would organize my blog like a main characters recipe blog. I would include a story on why this dish is important to the narrator and then include a recipe I find online. I would also include pictures of me making the recipe so it is truly a recipe book with clear directions, or a video of how to make it following the story. Plus, I would get to try some new yummy food haha! Some recipes that may have good story connections would be: Pongal dish and festival (this is for the Sun God, but I don't know of a good story to use yet), Hanuman and the sun mango (I could do a mango dish like mango ice-cream, aamras, or Mango Dal, or the God Ganesha's favorite food (Modak).


Okay I spent A LOT of time on the past two ideas so I am going to try to move through the next two quick and then come back to them if I have time later. 


Idea 3: The Very Hungry Elephant/ Silk Worm?

This storybook would be similar to The Very Hungry Caterpillar, but instead it would be about an elephant. The elephant would start as a baby who wandered off and all it knew how to do was eat. I could tie in stories of trees and their significance as the baby elephant ate away, or I could just focus on specific elephant stories. The growing elephant would get very large and have a monumental moment to finish the story, or I could end the story with the elephant getting hurt and having to go to a zoo to recover, or it being poached to make a statement about how horrible poaching is.  Here is a source about different elephants: click here. I also included silk worm with a question mark because that may also be a good option. I haven't run across a story about silk worms, but I could definitely rewrite a story for a growing silk worm. 


Idea 4: Trees and their flames 

This idea would be about the different trees and their significance in India. The narrator would be lost in a rural area of India and attempt to make a fire. Every time he puts in a twig or log of a nearby tree, the flames light up in unique colors and play their story in the flames. Kinda like in Narnia when Tumnus plays a song and it shows up in the flames (can you tell I have watched Narnia recently haha). I read this storybook and loved the ideas of writing about trees! I would need to look more into the trees, but this would be an awesome storybook for practicing producing imagery and action writing. I don't know how I would sum up the story, but the idea seems really interesting to me! 


Comments

Popular Posts