Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, Part A

Hi Everyone!

So I read part A to PDE Ramayana and am going to do a mixture of general notes and also focus on Sita and Rama. If I retell a story from this part, it will most likely be one inspired by Rama and Sita. 

First off....there are a lot of characters, so lets visually organize and go through them first. It is good to know that both Sita and Rama are avatars. 

(Ramayana Family Tree, from Wiki Commons

Okay now I want to focus on Rama and Sita and their story and possible changes I can make to it. 

What I LOVE

  • "Rama heard the jingle of the bangles on the lady Sita's feet, and he said, "I know of a surety that there comes hither a lady whom I shall love beyond all things else in the world." Lifting his eyes he saw Sita, the king's daughter, and they loved each other then and for ever".
  • To earn Sita's love Rama must string Pinaka, the bow of a god name Shiva. No mortal can even pick it up much less string it, but Rama can. While stringing it, he breaks the bow. But he still impresses Sita's father and can marry Sita. 
What I may change
  • Change the characters to something else
    • animals 
    • space creatures
    • modern day
  • Change the plot/perspective 
    • Rama breaks the bow and is not allowed to marry Sita.
    • Sita must string a bow.
    • Flashback: Rama and Sita look back on their love story 
    • Write it from Sita's point of view 
    • Make it a bed time story

Bibliography: PDE Ramayana, Part A Sita, The Divine Archer by F. J. Gould (1911). Link here

Comments

Popular Posts