Learning Challenge: Why We H.e.a.r.t. Sleep

How Sleep Deprivation Decays the Mind and Body link here

Sleepy Pup, picture made with Cheezburger 


Hi there!

So I am about to finish up my degree in neuroscience this semester, but I actually haven't covered lack of sleep in any of my classes. I have done a fair amount of research on my own, but mainly on a lack of sleep and its connection to Alzheimer's disease. 

This was a very interesting article to me because it wasn't as scientific as expected....it was VERY real though. I had no idea of the critical and long lasting symptoms of sleep deprivation. From my own experiences of just staying out a little late on the weekends (I have never pulled an all nighter), I know sleep deprivation is serious. Personally, I cannot even drive a car if I haven't slept in 16-20 hours. I have never understood why I am so sensitive to sleep, and it makes me wonder if everyone's bodies handle sleep deprivation significanlty different.....if so.... why?

The article definitely confirmed how important sleep is to me. I knew about the use of sleep deprivation in prisons. 

I did not know how significant sleep deprivation truly was though. I thought that it definitely had impacts 40 years down the road.....but I had no idea of its impacts in the weeks and months immediately following.  I was absolutely shocked by this. 

It definitely makes you curious on why these things happen. What about sleep is so dang important. Why do people react to sleep deprivation so differently. To act on this curiosity I assure you I will not be staying up through the night haha. I may try to do more research by myself online. I may also watch my sleeping habits more. Try to figure out when I hit my breaking point. How much sleep I get and how long I stay awake. 

Comments

Popular Posts